|Recently I have had a number of clients contacting me due to their reports displaying the wrong data, when the report is previewed in BIDS SQL Server Reporting Services 2008.|
The issue is that in SQL Server Reporting Services 2008 when report designers previews reports within the BIDS environment SSRS 2008 caches the data for each report.
The main reason for this is to increase performance, as every time the report is preview it no longer has to go back to the original datasource to return the report dataset.
The downside is that if the report properties, (such as fields, formulas, functions), does not change it will bring back the cached (old) dataset, and so if the underlying data has been changed it will not be displayed within the report.
There are three solutions:
Quick and Easy:
- Click on the Preview Tab
- Press the Refresh button on the Preview toolbar
This usually does the trick, but if not, then
Permanent - Completely turn this feature off:
- You will need to change the file: RSReportDesigner.config
- This file is located: C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio 9.0\Common7\IDE\PrivateAssemblies\RSReportDesigner.config
- Change the value for the key: CacheDataForPreview from True to False
- Save the file
- Within the Solution Tab
- Right click on the Reports folder
- Select Add Existing Item
- Select the Show All Files in the dropdown
- Sort by Type
- Delete any file with the extension *.data
If you have any questions, leave us a comment below, or need any assistance, please do not hesitate to Contact Us